Power Factor Correction
What is Power Factor Correction?
PFC is the process of improving a low power factor present on a power system by means of installing Power Factor Correction Capacitors and in doing so, increase the ratio of active power to apparent power.
When the apparent power is greater than the active power, then the utility provider must supply the excess reactive power and the working power.
Power capacitors act as reactive power generators when connected to an electrical system, to reduce or eliminate the amount of reactive power the electrical system draws from the grid.
The pay-back period for investments in well-designed power factor correction systems is usually between 3 and 18 months. Power factor correction equipment of good quality has a life expectancy of at least 10 years.
Making an investment in Power Factor Correction (PFC) will reduce your operating expenses. Electricity costs are among the top five operating expenses incurred by most businesses; and with electricity costs estimated to double over the next ten years, this will have an immediate impact on your business’ profitability.
Calculate your potential savings today by using our simplified calculator
Alpha Power Solutions can assist you in optimising your power factor consumption for long-term benefits, profitability and peace of mind!
The average cost of power factor improvement is usually 85% cheaper than an electrical supply upgrade.
- Two-year guarantee & our equipment is manufactured in SA and Europe, depending on our clients’ requirements, complying to the strictest safety guidelines.
- High-quality power capacitors which are safe and have a life expectancy of approximately ten years.
- Remote monitoring: Alpha Power Solutions can monitor your equipment’s performance remotely, and we also offer regular services and repairs which are cost-effective.
- Training of your technical personnel to ensure they are fully equipped to maintain the equipment.
- Assistance throughout the entire sub-Saharan Africa. We have a team who can not only install new equipment but also carry out repairs or upgrades of any make of power factor correction in the region.
What are the benefits of PFC?
- Lower electricity bills
- Reduction in apparent power (also known as maximum demand)
- Increased system capacity (free up capacity on your supply transformer)
- Reduced voltage drop on the supply transformer and supply cables
- Reduced transmission losses
Which industries are likely to benefit the most from Power Factor Correction?
- Saw Mills
- Plastic: extrusion and recycling
- Industries using machine tools, stamping machines, welders, compressors
- FMCG industries
- Bottling plants
- Refrigeration plants
- Grocery stores
With over 35 years experience in providing reliable and affordable Power Factor Correction Equipment and solutions, Alpha Power Solutions can guarantee immediate power factor improvement and upfront savings (with a notable reduction of between 20% to 50% on your power demand), resulting in a significant reduction in your monthly electricity bills. Complete the enquiry form or contact us to request a free assessment of your Power Factor Consumption or to speak to one of our specialists about Power Factor Correction for your business.